[Taxacom] Names missing from Neave/Nomenclator Zoologicus - any case studies?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 21:46:18 CDT 2016

Dear Taxaacomers,

I am interested in attempting to quantify the percentage of generic and
subgeneric names potentially missing from Neave's monumental "Nomenclator
Zoologicus" compilation (over the period of relevant coverage) and am
wondering whether there are case studies in specific groups which may be
able to supply a figure for the same. For example, although I do not have
the work to hand, apparently M. Alonso-Zarazaga & C. Lyal's "A world
catalogue of families and genera of Curculionoidea (Insecta: Coleoptera)
(excepting Scolytidae and Platypodidae)" includes "a list of the available
genus-group names absent from Neave's Nomenclator Zoologicus" - so I would
be interested to know what percentage of the total figure this may be. I
also imagine some figures might be available for other well studied groups
(Diptera? Hexacorals?) where a similar exercise may have been carried out.

Any pointers to either published or unpublished data on this aspect would
be appreciated,

With best regards,

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees