[Taxacom] Physics and science

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:39:02 CDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

With respect to the recent physics award, the last sentence in the quote
below is not about systematics as such (or maybe it is in a strange sort of
physics way), but may be nevertheless interesting considering how much
controversy even systematics (especially in its evolutionary applications)
can generate, and knowing full well the burden of preconceived ideas that
haunt everyone of us.

Kosterlitz was heading to lunch in Helsinki, where he is a visiting
professor at Aalto University, when he heard the news. “I’m a little bit
dazzled. I’m still trying to take it in,” he told the Associated Press. In
his 20s when he embarked on the research, Kosterlitz said his “complete
ignorance” was an advantage in challenging the established science because
“I didn’t have any preconceived ideas.”