[Taxacom] Flower Pickers 1, Music Lovers 0

Beach, James H. beach at ku.edu
Fri Oct 28 14:22:50 CDT 2016

The seemingly entrenched issue of non-unique biodiversity collection and institution codes makes many people in the community grimace, including me.

But it also makes me smile about the time in the 1990s when our local National Public Radio (NPR) station (call sign: "KANU") sent a letter to our university herbarium (collection code: "KANU") to tell us to stop infringing on their namespace.

The KU Herbarium was founded in 1866, NPR's KANU outlet started broadcasting in 1952.   We (i.e. Meredith Lane) asserted precedence from first use--and the music lovers backed away slowly.

Score one for the flower pickers!

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Institute
University of Kansas