[Taxacom] New taxonomy in Nature's Scientific Reports

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 1 17:43:44 CDT 2016

Hi Geoff,
Well, I'm not sure about "major high-profile ones", as it doesn't really matter to me which journals are involved. I think though that there are ample problems with many of the "usual efirst-then-print ones". Many journals appear to (rather opaquely) publish in 3 steps: (1) efirst without allocation to an issue; followed by (2) efirst publication of final print version; followed by (3) actual physical printing of final print version. It is (3) which is nomenclaturally the most important if the ZooBank preregistration hasn't been done properly (often due to lack of a stated archive in the ZooBank record, which hardly anyone bothers to check!), but it is also the hardest date to determine, particularly since there will be fewer subscriptions for print editions as most libraries slowly go digital only. Potentially, it also creates another problem whereby it may still be necessary to pay for hard copy subscriptions just to determine true publication dates, even though everything else might be already paid for open access and available digitally!
Cheers,
Stephen