[Taxacom] Names missing from Neave/Nomenclator Zoologicus - any case studies?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:37:11 CDT 2016

Thanks, Neal. A good suggestion re Eschmeyer for the fish - since I have
the raw data here I have just done a quick comparison - for names published
to 2003 (approx. cutoff point for Neave) that I have flagged as either
"extant only" or "extant +fossil":

- Nomenclator Zoologicus: 10,934 names (genera + subgenera)

- Eschmeyer total: (genera only): 10,637

- Nomenclator Zoologicus + Eschmeyer (common to both): 9,682 genus names (I
am presuming the ones in in Nom. Zool. but not in Eschmeyer are either
subgenera only, incorrectly flagged, or superfluous entries in Nom. Zool.
e.g. nomina nuda and misspellings not of interest to Eschmeyer)

- Eschmeyer alone (not in Nom. Zool.): 955 genus names

To see if these are mainly newer ones missing from Nom. Zool. for reasons
of latency, I checked the latest years of the last total but they are not
the most numerous (2003: 5 names, 2002: 2 names, 2001: 15 names).

So this would suggest that Nomenclator Zoologicus has missed 955/10,637
published genus names (by Eschmeyer's criteria) over this period or just a
fraction under 9%.

(I have not checked to see if any of the Eschmeyer names are pre-Linnean
and therefore out of scope for Nom. Zool. but should probably do so - if
found I will adjust the totals acordingly.)

Thanks for the suggestion, and probably a good test to do, since
Eschmeyer's Catalog is very thorough I would think.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees