[Taxacom] Looking for a paper

aon.912051867.4 aon.912051867.4 at aon.at
Sat Oct 8 03:23:17 CDT 2016

Cunha, A. and W. E. Kerr. 1957. A genetical theory to explain
sex-determination by arrhenotokous parthenogenesis. Forma et Functio
1:33-36, sometimes cited as 1(4):33-36.

In my opinion, this paper has been cited quite too often with equal
(though insufficient) details to be dismissed as perhaps/probably
inexistent.

Despite not being a librarian, nor even a zoologist, I may hopefully
still be able to lead the search in the right direction:

The Journal name in the citation above is NOT identical with the journal
"Forma et Functio", Pergamon Press (Oxford) and Vieweg
(Braunschweig/Germany), ISSN 0015-7716, of which 8 volumes have been
issued between 1969 and 1975, and which has subsequently been
discontinued. I have personally checked these 8 volumes, despite the
evidently different dates, with no avail, of course.

Apparently, another "Forma et Functio" existed as a subtitle, or perhaps
as a "part 1", included in the issues of the journal "Folia
Biotheoretica", also known by the enormously long name "Professor Dokter
Jan van der Hoeven Stichting voor Theoretische Biologie van Dier en
Mens", of Leiden University, Publisher Brill in The Hague, Netherlands,
ISSN 0920-2676, issued in volumes 1/1936, 2/1937, 3/1948, 4/1949, 5/1960
and 6/1966. Starting with vol. 7/1978, issues of "Folia Biotheoretica"
have been added as supplements to still another journal, "Acta
Biotheoretica" ISSN 0001-5342.

I have not (yet) been able to check these volumes (I do not have the
time to do that at this time), but volume 5, finalized (?) in 1960,
perhaps with contributions assembled over time, seems to be a good
candidate. the "1(4)" in the citation above could well mean "part 1,
issue 4" (of Folia Biotheoretica vol.5) ?.

With all these details, I hope that a copy of the searched for article
can now be successfully located.

Best regards
Friedrich Lauria
Dept. of Botany