[Taxacom] multiple authors new species

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Mon Oct 10 03:25:04 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: <bayshark at exemail.com.au>
To: <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] multiple authors new species

> I have a feeling that if you use paper with multiple authors for
> reference,
> is the best to cite all authors.
> If you use just for an identification label , use "etal"
> Regards
> Vratislav

If you cite a multiple-authored paper in your own publication you can use
"et al." in the text but cite all authors in the References section. Often a
multiple author taxon name was described in a paper with even more authors,
some of whom were not authors of the new name (eg. A, B & E in A, B, C, D &
E, 2016), and rarely one of the co-authors of a new taxon is not even one of
the co-authors of the paper  (eg. A & Z in A, B, C, D & E, 2016).

For a specimen label just cite the taxon authors and year, and it is
acceptable to use "et al." in the label rather than a long string of author
names.

Adam.