[Taxacom] Costelytra zealandica - Epic fail!

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:11:55 CDT 2016

 Hi all,

       I agree that it is unfortunate.  It is even worse when it involves a whole genus (like the whale genus Mesoplodon).  When I learned that E. R. Hall planned to revive one of the long forgotten synonyms of Mesoplodon (it was either Nodus or Micropteron, I've forgotten which) in the 2nd Edition of the reference book Mammals of North America, I told him that I was going to petition the ICZN to suppress those names.

        And then when I told him that he was supposed to maintain existing usage until the ICZN ruled, he was furious.  As I recall, he used one of those two forgotten generic names anyway when it was published in 1981.  Thankfully the ICZN unanimously approved our petition to suppress those generic names four years later:

HISTORY OF THE CASE Z.N.(S.)2081

An application for the conservation of Mesoplodon Gervais, 1850
was first received from Dale W. Rice {U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
Seattle. Washington, U.S.A.) in 1965. A second application in the same
sense was received from Dr Kenneth E. Kinman (University of Kansas) in
November 1977. A joint application by both authors was eventually sent to
the printer on 9 October 1979 and published on 25 April 1980 in Bull. zool.
Norn. vol. 37, pp. 30-33. Public notice of the possible use of the plenary
powers in the case was given in the same part of the Bulletin as well as to the
statutory serials, to seven general serials and two mammalogical serials. No
comment was received.