[Taxacom] Costelytra zealandica - Epic fail!

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Oct 15 16:56:05 CDT 2016

Interesting that the authors say "it has not been possible to associate
either of the two species represented by the syntypes with known species
of Costelytra".  So there is not a useful  "Establishment of the identity
..." of the title.

This is odd biologically - if I understand correctly apparently the C.
zealandica of the syntype is not now known to exist (nothing corresponding
to a common Wellington (= Port Nicholson) insect of 1846 has been found
since anywhere in the country?). Is this likely, even given the extensive
native habitat reduction over the years?

If there was a mixup between the species known now I could see some need
for reconciling application of names.

Geoff