[Taxacom] Costelytra zealandica - Epic fail!

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 15 17:10:16 CDT 2016

Geoff,
The situation is this: the name Costelytra zealandica has long been applied to one of the most significant insects in N.Z. This new paper has examined, for the first time, the original two syntypes from 1846, and found that they represent two different species of Costelytra, neither of which is the species known as C. zealandica. OK, but Art. 75.6 ( http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?article=75 ) of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature should instead be invoked to maintain prevailing usage of the name Costelytra zealandica, and prevailing usage maintained until the Commission makes a ruling! But this has not even been considered! Instead they have taken the bold step of describing the species known as C. zealandica as a new species, Costelytra giveni! Anyway, apart from the species known as C. zealandica, all the other species in the genus are rarely collected and are in a taxonomic mess. However, even I can see that their lectotype is the same species as Costelytra symmetrica Given, 1966. This is a rarely collected species, but is quite widespread in fact, though the only published record is the holotype from eastern Bay of Plenty. I found one in suburban Auckland in 1992. Their paralectotype belongs to Given's unresolved C. brunnea complex. But that is all irrelevant to the main issue. The whole problem can be solved by application to the ICZN to designate a neotype for C. zealandica which is in accordance with prevailing usage (i.e. the species known as C. zealandica).
Cheers,
Stephen