[Taxacom] Costelytra zealandica - Epic fail!

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Oct 16 19:47:50 CDT 2016

Just a quick update on the Costelytra fiasco. As I suspected, it seems to be based on an epic failure in peer review. In fact, it was sent to 4 anonymous reviewers, instead of the usual 2, but still not one of them grasped the issues sufficiently clearly to suggest maintaining prevailing usage as a much better option to radically renaming one of NZ's most significant and well known insects! Apparently, the editor had "great difficulty" finding suitable reviewers. I was overlooked as a reviewer, as per usual, since I'm outside the close-knit ingroup who control NZ entomology. Oh well ...

Stephen