[Taxacom] Museum abbreviations thanks

Schindel, David schindeld at si.edu
Thu Oct 27 12:18:11 CDT 2016

These "abbreviations" correspond to institutionCodes and collectionCodes in the Darwin Core Standard.  While these concepts are reasonably clear the implementation has been fragmented.  Many communities of taxonomists have proceeded independent of each other to create their own "standard" lists of unique codes.  As we noted in our Biodiversity Data Journal, when these lists are combined we find a significant number of cases where the same code is used by multiple institutions, or a code is used by an institution and by one collection within it.  As a result, the code attached to a specimen in a publication can be ambiguous.  It's another frustrating case of taxonomists working in taxon-bounded silos rather than as part of a larger enterprise.

David Schindel