[Taxacom] Flower Pickers 1, Music Lovers 0

Paul Kirk P.Kirk at kew.org
Fri Oct 28 15:52:01 CDT 2016

Nice story Jim, to which I have a follow on, but one not with the same long time line as your story.

With the exception of a couple of years before my retirement I worked for a unit, of a British organization, which was established in 1920 with the name Imperial Bureaux of Mycology - IBM (carved in stone: http://www.ardenbooks.co.uk/jpegs/20193.jpg). There was at that time no problem of homonymy, and being a bureaux of taxonomists we changed our name often; Babbage had lived and died, Turin was still at school. First we became IMI, the Imperial Mycological Institute, and this is when we acquired our Index Herbariorum acronym (pedantically, initialism). When the Empire went, morphing into the Commonwealth we became CMI (Commonwealth Mycological Institute). When the organization morphed into an international inter-governmental organization we reverted to IMI - the International Mycological Institute; on one occasion referred to as the Intergalactic Mycological Institute, during an introduction by the chair at an International Mycological Congress before I gave presentation.

[http://www.ardenbooks.co.uk/jpegs/20193.jpg]

Kirk ... Paul, not Jim :-)