[Taxacom] taxonomic names databases

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 1 16:18:57 CDT 2016

Somewhat relevant here is the fact that NZOR (New Zealand Organisms Register) has finally been updated with new data, but some unknown proportion of the new records are complete garbage, like this one for example (I have quite widely publicised it already, so they may take it down or fix it): http://www.nzor.org.nz/names/9b474227-7eca-47c5-a263-a5caa218e811
It lists "Polistes dominula 1791" as a species with status "Synonym of Polistes subg. Polistes"! It is a flawed duplicate of: http://www.nzor.org.nz/names/d98c86ac-4eda-4956-b4c1-959359db5471
but even that record puts the species in the wrong subgenus (and misspells that subgenus!)
This is just one example of many diverse problems that I easily found within about an hour of browsing after the update! There is little motivation to provide feedback to the site, since they are the ones getting paid to do the work, and they won't credit any corrections to whoever points them out, they will just pretend like the mistake never happened, and that's if they bother to fix it at all.
The worry is that all this garbage is going to be harvested by GBIF, etc., and the errors propagated widely! I strongly urge GBIF not to aggregate from NZOR without displaying some sort of warning (perhaps a reliability rating that is suitably low)
Cheers,
Stephen