[Taxacom] taxonomic names databases

Paul Kirk P.Kirk at kew.org
Fri Sep 2 01:35:02 CDT 2016

OK, let me say it again - peer review is a myth. In that statement I mean it's never always as perfect as we want or imagine it to be, because perfection is also a myth. If an author is interested in 'brownie points' with an eye on a possible salary increase at the end of the year they go for a high impact factor journal to publish their manuscript, if not they set their sights lower, and there are journals out there falling over themselves for manuscripts to publish (never mind the quality, feel the width). And some journals ask the author for appropriate reviewers when a manuscript is submitted - isn't that the taxonomic equivalent of insider trading? I doubt that the WoRMS editors change classification on a whim - we are drowning in published trees right now and if the aforementioned editor sees a tree with a twig bearing a sequence tagged with a name they know in a family it's not currently placed in why wouldn't they adopt that new classification?

'What we want are experts at tracking and making sense of primary taxonomic literature' ... one persons 'sence' is another persons 'nonsense'. And tracking all the recent primary literature is impossible for most people because a proportion of it is behind a pay-wall.

OK, off my soapbox now and back to editing Index Fungorum :-)