[Taxacom] Use of "nomen invalidum" versus "nomen nudum" in botany

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Sep 5 19:33:33 CDT 2016

The issues here are complicated. The term "nomen nudum" strictly speaking refers to a subset of what in zoology can be termed unavailable names. A "nomen nudum" is a "name only", i.e. published without a description, diagnosis or illustration. There are many other ways for a name to be unavailable, particularly so post electronic amendment (e.g. lack of a specified archive in ZooBank registration, etc.) Unfortunately in botany, they don't use the term availability, but instead use validity. I most often see "nomen illegitimum" in botany, rather than anything else. I can't really answer your question directly, but I will try to make the point that definitions in this area are not entirely clear. It is best to define (stipulate) exactly what you mean rather than rely on vague and ambiguous traditional terms, terms which may mean different things to different people.

Stephen