[Taxacom] Use of "nomen invalidum" versus "nomen nudum" in botany

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 08:19:06 CDT 2016

Although some authors often dismiss names judged to have unsatisfactory
descriptions as nude, true zoological nomina nuda have no description at
all.  Names with poor descriptions might be nomina dubia, or usable despite
being badly described, but they are nomenclaturally valid for animals.  For
example, Lymnaea bulla Benson has a detailed locality, but the only actual
description is the word "fine" (mid-1800's).  Because we have no evidence
as to what Benson thought might be a fine-looking pondsnail, this gives no
description.  However, if he had mentioned anything about the shell, e.g.,
"brown", "small", etc. that would be a description.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology