[Taxacom] taxonomic names databases

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Sep 6 16:56:01 CDT 2016

On 9/6/16 8:21 AM, Nico Franz wrote:
> I think science funding panels, in
> some of which I personally partake on occasion, are a bit drunk on the
> whole notion of "synthesis". More so than synthesis, we need provenance of
> conflicting views, and assessment tools for robustness on inferences given
> these conflicting views. But synthesizing conflict away is short-sided,
> instead we need to embrace it. If "users demand" one tree, well then we can
> argue why that demand is not a sound reflection of our science and
> scientific business plan, and provide other means for users to relevantly
> meet goals.

You may be surprised that some of us have actually been following this
thread, but I have. The comment above compels me to chime in with what I
would have hoped was obvious, but perhaps has been overlooked.

I, and others like me, manage a very large physical collection of
specimens - several million, in my case. That collection *has to be
organized* in order to retrieve things from it efficiently - so concepts
like Order, Family, Genus, etc. are not simple abstractions that can be
ambiguously defined and changed at will; when I have specimens of a
given taxon X, they can only have a single name on their unit tray
header label (genus + species), and each unit can only be in one drawer
(which has a family-rank header on it), and that drawer can only be in
one cabinet (which has an order header on it). Standardization and
synthesis help make a system like this *practical*. If different
institutions use a different order name, or different family name, or
different genus name, or different species name, for the same taxa as
occur in other collections, then someone trying to retrieve specimens or
data from multiple collections - which *is* standard practice - will
have a great deal more difficulty than if every collection, everywhere,
was following a single classification. If someone asks to borrow our
unidentified members of family X, and I'm using a classification system
where family X is much larger or smaller than the requestor's concept,
then I may either be wasting time (and risking loss or damage of
irreplaceable material) by sending many specimens they don't want, or I
may be failing to send them specimens they DO want. The more conflict we
embrace, the harder it is to communicate regarding the actual physical
specimens that underlie all of our taxonomy.

As a corollary, instability of classification also makes it much harder
to communicate with non-taxonomists, at many levels. If we have to
preface every single thing we say, or write, when communicating to
non-taxonomists, with a comment like "Bear in mind that there is no
consensus as to what names we really should use for the organisms I'm
about to mention..." then that just makes taxonomists look like complete
idiots, at a time and in a political climate where anti-science
sentiment is strong and getting stronger. Nothing makes taxonomy look
more *irrelevant* than being unable to give a straight answer. If you go
to a museum or library, or read a field guide, you want clear
organization, and expect answers, not a lecture in epistemology. If I
can't answer a simple question regarding a butterfly someone found in
their yard without expressing that there are three possible species
names, two possible genus names, and three possible family names, then
while my response might be a "sound reflection of our science," it won't
reflect well ON our science, in most people's minds. All a layman is
going to take away from that experience is "Taxonomists don't know what
the heck they're talking about," and I can't say I'd blame them.

While it may be true that SOME people don't need a synthesis, this does
not mean there is NO need for a synthesis.

Sincerely,