[Taxacom] taxonomic names databases

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Wed Sep 7 03:00:23 CDT 2016

Leaving aside the question of how desirable such a
One True Tree, enforced by a Superstate, or some
other Higher Authority, may or may not be, this is not
the reality we have now.

What we have now is a wealth of information, organized
around names established by tradition, and governed
by Codes of Nomenclature. What seems called for,
in my view, are databases that represent that reality,
making appropriate links, that is, links accurately
reflecting the relationships (which are many).

Apparently, aggregators all too often succumb to the lure
of the One Shop Stopping, All-Encompassing Portal,
into which input is shoehorned any which way (not rarely
'creating' species which don't exist).

Paul