[Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Sep 21 22:58:58 CDT 2016

Hi Neal,

Looks like our replies crossed over in cyberspace! You say:

>What is troublesome in the paper that you refer to that points out that these are nomina nuda, is the conclusion for each name says the opposite! That they are “available”.<

I ahve no idea what you mean by that!

Cheers, Stephen

On Thu, 22/9/16, Neal Evenhuis <neale at bishopmuseum.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa
 To: "JF Mate" <aphodiinaemate at gmail.com>, "Taxacom" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>

 Actually …

 This has nothing to do with
 publishing based on a photograph only. A
 holotype is clearly listed as examined. The
 names are nomina nuda because
 the author
 failed to designate a type depository for each — a
 common
 mistake unfortunately.

 What is troublesome in the
 paper that you refer to that points out that
 these are nomina nuda, is the conclusion for
 each name says the opposite!
 That they are
 “available”.

 Simply,
 sloppy descriptions and sloppy review of the sloppy
 descriptions.

 -Neal

 On Stardate 9/21/16, 5:40 PM,
 "Taxacom on behalf of JF Mate"
 <taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
 on behalf of aphodiinaemate at gmail.com>
 wrote:

 >It
 seems taxonomy fraudsters have cottoned on the fact that
 >descriptions no longer require "dead
 bodies". A description of a new
 >Dermestidae was published in Entomology and
 Applied Science Letters.
 >Fortunately the
 author was pretty lazy and it ended up being a nomen
 >nudum. Reference to original article and
 link to article uncovering
 >the dirty
 deed below.

 >Jason
 >
 >Original article: Description of a new
 species of the genus
 >Thaumaglossa
 (COLEOPTERA: Dermestidae: Megatominae) of the Astrakhan
 >Region of Russia.
 >Entomology and Applied Science Letters,
 2016, 3, 4: 12-14.

 >https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308163532_New_Faunistic_Records_a
 >nd_remarks_on_Dermestidae_Coleoptera_-_Part_15
 >The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be
 searched at:
 >http://taxacom.markmail.org
 >
 >Injecting Intellectual
 Liquidity for 29 years.

 This message is only intended for the addressee
 named above.  Its contents may be privileged or otherwise
 protected.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of
 this message or its contents is prohibited.  If you have
 received this message by mistake, please notify us
 immediately by reply mail or by collect telephone call.
 Any personal opinions expressed in this message do not
 necessarily represent the views of the Bishop Museum.