[Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Sep 21 23:35:02 CDT 2016

Looking at this in a bit more detail reveals a rather ugly side to it, probably involving territoriality. Reading Jason's post, I at first missed the fact that he cites a second paper which attacks the first (this is why I didn't understand Neal's remark), i.e.,
Háva, J.; Herrmann, A.; Kadej, M. 2016: New faunistic records and remarks on Dermestidae (Coleoptera) - Part 15. Studies and reports (Taxonomical series), 12(2): 339-344. [See p. 343]

Háva et al. make various accusations against Pushkin ("Pushkin (2016b) did many flaws and very serious misconducts"), none of which make much sense. They make a big deal of the fact that no holotype repository was specified, but this is a minor technicality (actually very common). They nitpick over a minor inconsistency in the number of specimens in the type series (3 or 4), which is probably just result of a typo. More seriously, they say "Fig. 1 is the figure according to web pages: http://www.dermestidae.com/Thaumaglossalaeta.html". It is not quite clear what they mean by this, but although it may or may not be the same species as T. laeta, it is certainly not the very same photo, as they seem to imply, so, at worst Pushkin's new species must be synonymised (wow, like that's a big sin that has never happened before!)

It is a little bit concerning to me that Jason fell for Háva et al.'s rhetoric and propagated it uncritically!

Stephen