[Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Thu Sep 22 03:23:10 CDT 2016

Neal,

"The names are nomina nuda because the author failed to designate a type
depository for each — a common
mistake unfortunately."

Could you clarify this further? If a depository designation is needed to
avoid names becoming nomina nuda, then how is it possible to name a species
based only on a photo? (As it seems it is). If the type is running around
free, it can't have a depository. I'd appreciate knowing where in the code
this is spelled out. Thanks! (I'm teaching systematics now and we've
covered these descriptions based on photographed but uncollected types...)

-Derek

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 347,746 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us <http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php>