[Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Thu Sep 22 04:59:01 CDT 2016

A "collection" where the type(s) are intended to be deposited must be
designated and its location given *IF* the types are extant specimens.
(The whole purpose of this provision being to make it as easy as
possible for a subsequent worker to re-locate the type series -- and put
an end to situations where this subsequent author had to use "any
evidence, published or unpublished," to guess where he might find the
types.)

But anyway, the first problem here doesn't seem to be the depository.
The first problem is that the journal is electronic, and the paper lacks
a ZooBank registration, thus it is wholly unpublished and *nothing* in
it is nomenclaturally relevant.

The description is fake as well, by the way, not just the images -- 99%
of the text being an evident 'remix' of the description of Thaumaglossa
mroczkowskii by Háva & Kadej 2005.

As michael noted, it seems impossible to understand such a behaviour if
it comes from a professional scientist, as it can only be damaging for
him. But do we necessarily need to accept that it really happened..? One
possible purpose for such a 'paper' may be to create a fake publication
track for a 'predatory' journal, in order to attract submissions.

Laurent -