[Taxacom] Return of the digital taxa

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Thu Sep 22 17:28:20 CDT 2016

Yes, I got caught in a confusion between the two papers as well. (As you
did initially too, Stephen, but for some reason that I don't understand,
your emails to the group stopped to reach me some time ago; I can only
see them in the archive.) So to be clear:
- The first paper (Anthrenus kamiluhi,
http://easletters.com/volume3-issue1-2016/EASL-2016-3-1-1-3.pdf ,
claimed to be a "nomen nudum" by Háva, Herrmann & Kadej) is registered
in ZooBank (and is thus presumably published).
- The second one (Thamaglossa zhantievi,
http://easletters.com/volume3-issue4-2016/EASL-2016-3-4-12-14.pdf ) is
not (and is IMHO unpublished).

The ISSN claimed on ZooBank (2348-2864) is that of the online version.
Here: http://easletters.com/malpractice-policy.html the journal is said
to be "an *electronic* peer reviewed international journal". ELibrary.ru
- http://elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=56427 - makes 2348-2864 the ISSN
of the online (онлайновой) version, and gives no ISSN of any printed
(печатной) version.

SV Pushkin appears on the website of his university -
http://www.ncfu.ru/spisok-sotrudnikov/1302-pushkin-sergey-viktorovich.html
- so the affiliation presumably did exist at some point at least.
Whether the university will answer an outsider about this type of issue,
is probably a different matter, though.

(But I doubt that a Russian zoologist can get this type of publicity:
https://www.zin.ru/animalia/coleoptera/rus/puspdf18.htm
...on the website of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of
Science at St-Petersburg, and keep things quiet indefinitely...)

Laurent -

On 09/22/2016 11:32 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> I note that someone using the name "Sergey Viktorovich Pushkin" has
been active on ZooBank ( http://zoobank.org/Search?search_term=Pushkin
), trying to register articles. Also, it appears that Hava et al.
described Anthrenus pushkini Herrmann, Kadej & Háva, 2015!
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/297838486_A_new_species_of_Anthrenus_Geoffroy_1762_Coleoptera_Dermestidae_from_Dagestan

> Evidently they were collaborating at some stage. I have as yet had
> no
reply from either Hava, nor the Russian university that Pushkin claims
affiliation with. The ZooBank record for the journal (
http://zoobank.org/References/7C956948-1236-45B4-A62B-414B69567BDE )
claims to have a print ISSN, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it as
e-only! It would be very easy for them to produce a minimal print run
anyway, or to fake it in a way that is difficult to disprove. The
journal appears to be based in India and appears somewhat "dodgy"! One
of the editorial board is listed as being USA based: Dr Bal K Gautam,
Department of Entomology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA ,
USA. I might check him out ...