[Taxacom] Paralectotype question

Neal Evenhuis neale at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Apr 20 18:06:02 CDT 2017

There is this caveat with the Loew Diptera collection at MCZ to always
take into account …

… from Knutson, L., R. E. Orth, T. W. Fisher & W. L. Murphy. 1986. Catalog
of Sciomyzidae (Diptera) of America North of Mexico. Entomography 4: 1‑53:

"Museum of Comparative Zoology. According to C.W. Sabrosky (in litt., 4
Oct., 1977 to L. Knutson), Nathan Banks told him during a visit to the
Museum of Comparative Zoology in 1935, that the Loew "types" were labeled
by Samuel Henshaw and that Henshaw did not necessar­ily get the type
labels on the correct specimens. Sabrosky further noted, "Sometimes the
red type label was put on a specimen not mentioned in the original
description. In any case, the Henshaw 'designations' were never published
and have no standing as such."
For many species in the Loew collection, there is more than one specimen
labeled "type." Specimens from the collection bear small white labels
reading "Loew Coll." Also, many specimens labeled "type" bear a small
white label with the species name followed by an "M" (equals Mihi) in
Loew's handwriting. However, for some species, there are specimens labeled
"Loew Coll." but not labeled with red type labels. Also, in some cases the
specimens not bearing a type label are in better condition than specimens
labeled as such, or they are males and the so-called types are females.”

Thus, what is labeled s not guaranteed as a syntype. Best to be
conservatively cautious when designating lectotypes from the Loew material
in MCZ.

-Neal

On Stardate 4/20/17, 11:11 AM, "Taxacom on behalf of Stephen Thorpe"
<taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu on behalf of