[Taxacom] job announcement for insect taxonomists/systematists

Gaimari, Stephen@CDFA stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov
Mon Apr 24 13:26:59 CDT 2017

Call for Applications for Insect Systematists/Taxonomists!

The Plant Pest Diagnostics Branch of the California Department of Food & Agriculture is seeking applicants for an upcoming job opening for one or more systematic/taxonomic entomologists. Submitting your application by the due date will ensure that you will be considered for the upcoming position and any other open positions that may come up during the life of the eligible list being established. Please disperse widely (and quickly, given the final filing date is 19 May 2017).

Open application submission period is April 21 to May 19, 2017
FINAL FILING DATE: 19 May 2017

Position: Associate Insect Biosystematist

Current Salary Range: $4,996.00 to $6,208.00 per month
[Note, the next level is Senior Insect Biosystematist, salary range: $5,611.00 to $6,976.00 per month]

Job Location:
Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food & Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA

We are seeking applications from highly-qualified, morphology-leaning systematic/taxonomic entomologists for full time employment as scientists in the Entomology Lab at the Plant Pest Diagnostics Center (CDFA) in Sacramento, California. Please visit http://cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/entomology.html for an introduction to our lab, which currently has a full-time scientific staff of 10 Insect Biosystematists and 3 Environmental Scientists, as well as technicians, students, and postdocs, all with a wide variety of taxonomic expertise across insect, other arthropod and mollusk taxa.

The eligible list (from which we must hire) lasts for at least one year (and up to two years), so we encourage systematic and taxonomic entomologists across all taxa to apply. We are not specifically soliciting for any particular taxonomic group, so consider this open to taxonomic expertise within insect or other arthropod groups.

The primary duties for an Associate Insect Biosystematist include the following:

1)      Perform timely and accurate identifications and diagnostics of the taxonomic group(s) assigned - broad familiarity and knowledge of your group is necessary for this function. Provide expert consultation to internal and external client groups.

2)      Conduct research in systematics and taxonomy of insects or other arthropods (note, this does not have to be the same group as diagnostic responsibility), resulting in scientific publications.

3)      Contribute to the growth and development of the California State Collection of Arthropods, our primary reference collection, currently home to nearly 3 million curated specimens, and growing rapidly.

4)      Participate in the general functions and activities of the Entomology Lab and the greater Plant Pest Diagnostics Center team. Please visit http://cdfa.ca.gov/plant/ppd/ for an introduction to the Branch.

Visit https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/pdfs/7FA09.pdf (the Exam Bulletin) for details and how to apply for this position. Also visit http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/ regarding starting the process, and for additional resources.

Application procedure: Application materials may be submitted by email (to exams at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:exams at cdfa.ca.gov>), or in printed and signed hard copy. For emailing or hand delivery, all materials must be RECEIVED BY 19 May 2017. For hard copy mailing, all materials must be POSTMARKED BY 19 May 2017. For hard copy mailing or hand delivery, use the following address:

California Department of Food & Agriculture
Examination Unit, Attn: Amiee Uhler
1220 N Street, Room 242
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 403-6584

What to submit:

1)      The completely filled-out State Application (https://jobs.ca.gov/pdf/std678.pdf)

2)      The completed Supplemental Application in the Exam Bulletin (pages 6-11 therein) (https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Employment/pdfs/7FA09.pdf)

3)      Copies of academic transcripts

If you have any technical questions about the application process, please contact Amiee Uhler (916-403-6584). For other questions, please feel free to contact Steve Gaimari (stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov>; 916-262-1131) or Andy Cline (andrew.cline at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:andrew.cline at cdfa.ca.gov>; 916-262-1168).

Dr. Stephen D. Gaimari
Environmental Program Manager I (Entomology & Botany)

Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food and Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA

Tel. 916-262-1131, Fax 916-262-1190
E-mail  stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov<mailto:stephen.gaimari at cdfa.ca.gov>