[Taxacom] Possible early humans in New World

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Apr 27 14:10:29 CDT 2017

On 4/27/2017 12:41 PM, John Grehan wrote:
> Some of you may have seen the reports of evidence for humans in N America
> 100,000 or so years ago. Indications of butchering of mammoths. Of course
> such indirect evidence is always problematic. One critic felt that the
> Bering strait was too wide at that time (always the Bering strait as if no
> other option was available). Answer - boats, boats, boats. After all, what
> was good enough for Homo erectus (found at locations isolated by water) is
> good enough for H. sapiens (or whatever).

* riddle me this taxacomers - if people were in North America 130,000
years ago, where did they go? Did they have descendants in the
subsequent 117,000 years? Why did Clovis have descendants and these
hypothetical folks didn't? Is there another case of People showing up on
a continent and then disappearing?

Shawn Carlson wrote about this on facebook: "It's a great question. And
a very significant problem, I think. Modern humans radiated out of
Africa only about 100,000 years ago. That means that this other group
would have been alone in a land with lots of space and resources for
something like 100,000 years. They must have gone extinct a long time
ago or their artifacts would have accumulated. There are over 1 billion
stone tools in France because the land was continuously occupied for
over 90,000 years. If North America had been occupied for a similar
amount of time, farmers couldn't plow their fields without turning over
stone tools."

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
for our annual letter, click '2016' at http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156°N 75.70095°W