[Taxacom] Possible early humans in New World

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 15:57:06 CDT 2017

Hi all,

       I would not be at all surprised if parts of North America were colonized by small numbers of Homo erectus or Homo sapiens (like Denisovans or even Neandertals) over 100,000 years ago.  It could have happened numerous times, but the populations were always small and died out (perhaps due to inbreeding or perhaps no breeding at all if they were all male expeditions).  Or if on the west coast, a tsunami could surprise and pretty much decimate a coastal settlement (and removing all traces of their having been there at all).

      And even they did leave some tools around further inland, many such tools may have been found and reworked by later, more permanent colonizers.  If they came by boat, they would most likely stay near the coast or along rivers, not habitually living in caves where their remains might be more likely to be preserved).  If Homo habilis floresiensis hadn't lived in caves, would we have ever found their remains?  Probably not.