[Taxacom] Postdoc position at California Academy of Sciences
rpeters at calacademy.org
Wed Aug 16 18:50:53 CDT 2017
Rose Postdoctoral Fellow
A postdoctoral research position is available to conduct research on cycads
at the California Academy of Sciences. This position reports to the
Associate Curator of Botany within the Institute of Biodiversity Science
and Sustainability and the successful candidate is expected to work in this
collaborative environment. This is a temporary one year position with the
possibility of renewal for up to two years, contingent on research
progress. The fellow will conduct research on the population genetics of
Australian cycads to examine the roles of pollination and seed dispersal in
gene flow to inform cycad conservation. However, applicants with expertise
in any area of plant evolution will be given full consideration. The
candidate will contribute to the development of herbarium and genomic
collections, and bioinformatic resources at the California Academy of
Sciences. Additionally, public outreach through in-person and online
interactions will be a component of the position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Conduct original, scientific research with Dr. Nathalie Nagalingum on
cycad population genomics, addressing questions such as maternal versus
paternal gene flow and population demographics
● Organize and participate in research expeditions, requiring international
travel for 2-4 weeks per expedition, including securing appropriate
research, export and import permits.
● Publish and present results in scientific journals and at national and
international meetings, and contribute to grant proposals
● Contribute to and participate in educational, public, and development
programs of the Academy
● Follow all Academy regulations with respect to collections, safety and
other institutional guidelines.
● Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education
and/or equivalent experience:
● Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in a relevant discipline, with all requirements
completed by the starting date of fellowship.
● Research expertise in plant evolutionary or population genomics combined
with a strong publication record
● Experience working in a laboratory environment with proper safety
● Field work experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Ability to conduct original and creative scientific research in
collaboration with the Associate Curator of Botany
● Strong academic record with peer-reviewed publications
● Knowledge of and experience with molecular biology, next-generation
sequence library preparation and sequencing, and related bioinformatics
tools and programming
● Understand and comply with all local, international (CITES), Australian,
and US Federal regulations relating to export and importation of specimens
and genetic material.
● Interest in science communication/outreach including through social media
● Must have or be able to obtain a valid passport; willingness to travel
Ability to read and interpret documents such as scientific papers, safety
rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write reports, correspondence, and scientific articles. Ability
to speak effectively before groups or individuals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, and reach with hands
and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 50%
of the time and lift 30 lbs. The employee will be required to work in a
laboratory, handle chemicals, and comply with safety regulations. Must be
able to walk in steep terrain in hot and humid conditions; ability to
travel by plane.
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at
that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many
factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will
close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls
Thanks for posting,
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Dr.
San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
More information about the Taxacom