[Taxacom] Can botanical family names be based on a rejected genus name?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 20:28:33 CDT 2017

Dear taxacomers,

I came across a botanical family name (Aytoniaceae Cavers in liverworts,
see http://tropicos.org/Name/35002592 ) which appears to be based on a
rejected genus name, Aytonia J.R. Forst. & G. Forst. (see
http://tropicos.org/Name/35001869) so was wondering if this affects the
validity (?=legitimacy) of the relevant family name. So far as I am aware,
in zoology a family name cannot be based on an unavailable genus name, but
in botany the analogous situation may be different.

The relevant section of the ICNafp (Melbourne Code) reads as follows:

----------
18.3. A name of a family based on an illegitimate generic name is
illegitimate unless and until it or the generic name upon which it is based
is conserved.
Ex.6. Caryophyllaceae Juss., nom. cons. (from Caryophyllus Mill. non L.);
Winteraceae R. Br. ex Lindl., nom. cons. (from Wintera Murray, an
illegitimate replacement name for Drimys J. R. Forst. & G. Forst.).
Ex.7. Nartheciaceae Fr. ex Bjurzon (1846), based on Narthecium Huds., nom.
cons. (1762), became legitimate when the generic name was conserved over
its earlier homonym Narthecium GĂ©rard (1761) (see App. III).

So perhaps I need to know whether a nom. rej. qualifies as an illegitimate
name or not.

 Advice from relevant knowledgeable persons would be appreciated.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees