[Taxacom] Are bacterial species real? (was: Can botanical family names....)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 20:20:42 CDT 2017

Lynn Margulis certainly did not believe in prokaryotic species.  In a 2006 article (see weblink below), she said:  "If you put a particular plasmid into E. coli, all of a sudden you have Klebsiella and not E. coli.  You've changed not only the species, but the genus."

http://www.astrobio.net/origin-and-evolution-of-life/bacteria-dont-have-species/

Bacteria Don't Have Species - Astrobiology Magazine<http://www.astrobio.net/origin-and-evolution-of-life/bacteria-dont-have-species/>
www.astrobio.net
Astrobiology Magazine: You have argued that bacteria don’t have species. I wonder if you could explain that idea. Lynn Margulis: Bacteria are much more of a continuum.