[Taxacom] Citation

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Feb 6 15:08:26 CST 2017

It causes problems and confusion for no gain.

"Just like a name at any regulated rank, the citation indicates who erected the name, ..."

Actually, no! The citation indicates who first erected the name in a Code compliant way, but if it is a non-regulated name, then there is no such thing as Code compliance for that name! So, we get a pointless situation whereby names above family-group (in zoology) are just cited, for no particular reason, to whoever first published the name in more or less the way it is currently used, whereas, for regulated names, the citation indicates who first erected the name in a Code compliant way, and this is only really important because of the Principle of Priority (which does not apply to unregulated names).

Stephen

 Hello Jan,
 Stephen et al.,
 I do not
 have a problem with citing authors for ranks above family,
 as per the example at http://www.eu-nomen.eu/portal/taxon.php?GUID=urn:lsid:marinespecies.org:taxname:1300
 . Although the zoological Code does not regulate these, it
 does not therefore mean they cannot be used in this manner,
 if zoologists so desire. Just like a name at any regulated
 rank, the citation indicates who erected the name, not
 necessarily its current circumscription.
 Best regards - Tony
 Tony
 Rees, New South Wales, Australiahttps://about.me/TonyRees

 On 7 February 2017 at