[Taxacom] Supposed new continent

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:14:09 CST 2017

I received an off list comment that "Zealandia has always struck me as more
appropriate for a place in the Netherlands....." which brings up the
nomenclatural point that this term seems to have just been applied by
certain practitioners at some point (quite some time ago) and then it gets
more widely disseminated with subsequent use. Its just a word I suppose,
but words carry a weight of implicit meaning. Why should the region be
Zealandia any more than "Caledonia", or why not some other term that is not
so... parochial. Or maybe just "perdidit Australia" (sorry for Latin
misuse). Maybe this makes the case that Australia should take over
'Zealandia'

John Grehan