[Taxacom] Langage code for scientifc names

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 04:47:26 CST 2017

Some 14(!) years after I first raised the issue with them, the IETF
seem to be close to agreeing a language code [1] for marking up
taxonomic names in HTML and other digital documents.

For example, we can currently mark up a French phrase, in HTML, like this:

   This is a <span lang=fr>tres bon</span> example!

and it is prosed to do the same for taxon names:

   A highlight of the trip was seeing <span lang=XXX>Aquila
   audax</span> overhead.

and issues for debate include what code should be used in place of
XXX; and whether the code should represent a subset of Latin.

The current discussion starts at [2], and input from taxonomists would
be useful. I'm happy to forward short comments posted here, but you
can subscribe to the mailing list yourself at [3]. The discussion can
also be viewed via the archives link on that page.

See also the 2008 thread on this list [4].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag

[2] http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2017-February/013713.html

[4] http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom/2008-June/110588.html

--