[Taxacom] the dark side of taxonomy

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:06:32 CST 2017

I had an off list question about my use of 'ideology driving taxonomy'. On
reflection this case it might be better the other way around - taxonomy
driving ideology where the taxonomic establishment of certain entities is
interpreted in a certain way that would not be possible if the entities
were considered the same (i.e. if rhesus and Japanese populations were
regarded as the 'same' species then there would be no 'alien' genes). But
of course there have been historical efforts under some ideologies to
create a purported taxonomy of human populations with a view to exclusion
of 'hybrids'.

John Grehan