[Taxacom] Old Survey Material Dispersal

Lawrence Barringer lawrence.barringer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 10:20:47 CST 2017

The Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture’s Entomology Program is preparing for
its 2017 survey season.  Our program is responsible for survey of exotic
and damaging insect pests to PA’s agricultural industries that include wood
destroying beetles and exotic threats such as Asian Longhorn Beetle and
Spotted Lanternfly.  As part of our retention policy, material not
incorporated into our collection is retained for 3 years (due to space
limitations).  We are again offering material (2012-13) to other
institutions, collections, researchers, collectors, or students before it
is trashed.

Available material includes these taxa (in decreasing order of abundance),
which are already identified to species (or as close to): Curculionidae:
Scolytinae, Cerambycidae, Pentatomoidea (Pentatomidae, Thyreocoridae,
Cydnidae, Scutelleridae, Acanthosomatidae), Cleridae, Buprestidae, and
Siricidae, Symphyta, Bostrichidae, and some Lepidoptera taxa.  The material
encompasses 200,000+ specimens and 600+ species with information needed for
museum quality labels.  Most material is stored in alcohol and lumped
together by the above groupings (i.e. all species of Cerambycidae from a
collection event in one vial).

The time frame for dispersal is March, though material may be set aside for
pickup.  The previous dispersal saw recipients receive 100-300 vials based
on interest and taxa wanted.  There are no funds available for dispersal so
the onus of transfer is on the receiver, with shipping costs generally
$20-25 or less for domestics.  UPS, FedEX, and DHL accounts are the
preferred mechanism.

If any of the material is interesting or you would like more information,
please contact Lawrence Barringer (lbarringer at pa.gov). Detailed outputs
from our database can be quickly tailored to provide you with pertinent
information on your taxa of interest.

Cheers
LB

*Lawrence Barringer | *Entomologist 2
Entomology Department *|* Bureau of Plant Industry
2301 N. Cameron St. *|* Harrisburg PA 17110
Phone: 717.772.5228 *|* Fax:  717-705-6518
www.agriculture.state.pa.us