[Taxacom] Taxacom Digest, Vol 129, Issue 4

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:17:43 CST 2017

Hinrich and others,

To be fair I think that opening up the option of online publication was
effectively forced onto the ICZN and the rules they made were debated for
some time and based on the models available at the time. The online
publishing industry has since created entirely unpredictable models that
the original discussions did not predict. I do not think anyone could have
predicted the nature of what has become online publishing. It may, in hind
sight, have been better to permit that industry to stabilize for another
decade before permitting it to be a viable option for nomenclatural works.
Maybe it would have been better to resist it altogether. However there was
a lot of pressure to establish a set of rules of availability for online
only publications. I find some of these journals outright devious in their
attempts to validate their journals. Which do not meet the code.

Cheers Scott

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Hinrich Kaiser <chalcopis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with Frank's comment wholeheartedly, and I wish journals would not
> sow confusion by pre-publishing (taxonomic decisions or anything else).
> At the same time, there is perhaps a secondary lesson to be learned. When
> it comes to issues relevant to nomenclature, it would be better for the
> ICZN to anticipate and lead, instead of being forced to react. With respect
> to the pre-publication issue, I would have preferred if the Commission had
> produced the rules for how taxonomic decisions could be produced if
> published online only, TO THE EXCLUSION of all other options. That would
> have taken care of pre-publication. As it is, there are loopholes, and
> Frank's paper was one that needed to be written to address one of these
> loopholes. Of course, it is tricky to anticipate all possibilities, but I
> would much rather have the ICZN err on the side of caution by setting
> strict limits a priori, as opposed to allowing all kinds of names to
> potentially become available via pre-publication or other questionable
> paths and then having to later address the confusion.
> In this day and age, when so much can be produced so quickly, I believe it
> is critically important for the Commission to become a proactive
> institution instead of remaining a reactive one, a rapid-response
> association that takes care of issues of nomenclature AND of the taxonomic
> decisions that produce them. This is not meant to be a form of scientific
> censorship, it is merely a way to safeguard scientific processes - while it
> would certainly benefit a key ideal of the ICZN, nomenclatural stability. I
> think this would not only be a great service to the community at large, it
> would also ensure that the Commission is properly regarded as a highly
> relevant institution worthy of enduring financial support.
> Hinrich
>
>     On Sunday, January 8, 2017 1:00 PM, "taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.
> ku.edu" <taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> wrote:
>

> Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 21:18:14 +0000
> From: "Frank T. Krell" <Frank.Krell at dmns.org>
> To: Sergio Vargas <sevragorgia at gmail.com>,
>
> Sergio,
>
> If it fulfills the criteria for availability of electronic publications it
> would be available:
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267337910_Open-
> access_journals_are_now_open_for_discoveries_of_new_plants_
> and_animals?ev=prf_pub
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282355945_
> Electronic_publications_need_registration_in_ZooBank_to_be_available
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274372707_A_mixed_
> bag_when_are_early_online_publications_available_for_
> nomenclatural_purposes
> But I suspect the paper would neither have an ISSN nor would it be
> archived in an approved archived separate from the publisher. So it would
> not fulfill all the criteria for availability and would be considered
> unpublished and unavailable for nomenclatural purposes. I would not
> [...]

Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Divisão de Vertebrados (Herpetologia)
Avenida Nazaré, 481, Ipiranga
04263-000, São Paulo, SP, Brasil
http://www.carettochelys.com