[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Jan 9 16:29:07 CST 2017

I changed the subject line of this thread to be more relevant to the discussion.

First, a minor correction to Frank's post:  The Code does not require that electronic works be deposited in an online archive.  It requires that the work be registered in ZooBank, that the ZooBank record indicates the ISSN/ISBN and *intended* archive, and that the work itself contain the date of publication and evidence of registration.  Any version of a work ("pre-published", or otherwise) that fails to include these last two items is not considered published in the sense of the Code, so names and acts established therein are not available.

Scott's summary very accurately represents the reality.  There was enormous pressure to accommodate electronic publication under the Code (and rightly so, as evident from hindsight), and there was a four-year period where the community was free to comment on how the new rules should be implemented.

As to Hinrich's point that the Commission should be proactive, this is PRECISELY what is happening (and, to a large extent, has been happening since at least 2005).  The Commission was always well-aware that the Amendment to accommodate electronic publication was a stop-gap measure; it was never intended as the permanent solution.  A permanent solution would have been very unwise back then as, as has been pointed out, the publication landscape is still very-much dynamic and evolving. Rather, the Amendment was to allow a test period to discover what the problems with both electronic publication and online registration are, and use that knowledge to refine a more long-term solution through the 5th Edition of the Code.

And this is EXACTLY what is happening now.

I've ranted many times on this list and elsewhere about my own views on the matter, so I won't repeat them in detail here. There is no doubt in my mind that "publication" as we use that word will cease to be the vehicle through which new names and nomenclatural acts are established.  The only questions are when this will happen, and precisely how it will be implemented.

I think I disagree with some of the other sentiments expressed by Hinrich below, but his assertions are too vague and imprecise to address directly.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org