[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jan 9 16:40:57 CST 2017

Rich Pyle said: 'There is no doubt in my mind that "publication" as we use that word will cease to be the vehicle through which new names and nomenclatural acts are established.  The only questions are when this will happen, and precisely how it will be implemented'.

There is some doubt in my mind. The issue is complicated, but this would, on the face of it, require taking the work of taxonomists out of the system of publication metrics which dominates professional science. This could result in even less taxonomy being done by professional scientists, who would still be under pressure from their employers to "publish or perish". It is hard to see how professional taxonomy could survive in todays world outside of the system of publication metrics. At least around here, we are already sliding down a slippery slope whereby less taxonomy is being done (because it takes too much time and easily becomes unprofitable) and publications are becoming more "bandwagon orientated" nonsense (e.g. "climate change research") simply designed to burn public money as quickly (and therefore profitably) as possible. Taking taxonomy out of publications altogether might be the final nail in the coffin of taxonomy and it just won't get done at all.

Stephen