[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jan 9 19:58:45 CST 2017

Oh, so, if I understand you correctly, you are actually saying that you ARE indeed taking minimally code compliant descriptions of new taxa out of the publication metrics system! The idea appears to be that any taxonomist worth the title when then publish much fuller (re)descriptions in the usual way. But this is potentially problematic. I don't think Hinrich will like the idea, for it means that Code compliance results from minimal descriptions, which is all good for the likes of Hoser, etc. Besides, at the end of the day taxonomists are taxonomists, but other scientists (systematists, phylogeneticists, ecologists, etc.) simply use the output of taxonomists for other purposes. So, now they can easily make new names available in minimalist fashion and then charge ahead and use those names for other purposes! I don't see quality control on new names made available in minimalist fashion? Where is the peer review on the generation of new names?

Stephen