[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 23:16:39 CST 2017

One difficulty though Hinrich is that the code explicitly separates the
science of taxonomy from nomenclature. So if I read you correctly what you
are asking is that the science is to be considered by the Code, through the
Commission, something it has deliberately avoided. Taxonomic freedom has
been seen as being important, yes people have abused that. Maybe some way
of dealing with it should be developed. The code is meant to be looking at
availability of names largely based on publication and priority. The other
problem with panels is who would be on them. Anyone? Restricted to people
who are taxonomists? I am being serious. In our field Hinrich, herpetology,
I read peoples papers, recent papers, where they cannot even write the
"important nomenclatural parts" of a paper so that their nomenclatural acts
are even valid. These are usually phylogeneticists, phylogeographers etc.
Should these people be judging nomenclatural acts when they cannot write
one? I am with Stephen on this, I am not sure random groups of "interested"
people can do that job appropriately.

--
Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo