[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Frank T. Krell Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Tue Jan 10 09:39:59 CST 2017

John,

Would you give examples of the many versions of record that differ "substantially" in layout and content between the online version and the issue integrated version? Apart from metadata (page numbers and issue number) that is.
I am not aware of a single case of a substantial difference. Of course, substantial is subjective, but then again I would like to know what substantial means.

It is correct that the intention to archive is required, not archiving itself. However, if you explain the requirements to a practitioner, you say archiving is required. You don't say: Archiving is not required, but you need to intend it. What?
The wording in the amendment was chosen a safeguard to keep works available even if archiving did not happen despite all good intentions of the author and probably without knowledge of the author. The author has no control over the archiving procedure of the publishers, but an author should chose a journal that claims having an archiving procedure.

Re. date of publication: It seems that the date of electronic publication is much better documented these days than the date of publication of paper issues. You need to have the paper issue in hand for checking, if it is stated at all, and print runs are going down constantly.

We have been dealing with unspecified dates of publication for hundreds of years. We specified them ourselves according to the rules of the Code (when the rules came in place). And here is a definition of publication date from a webpage of the Library Corporation:
"Publication date:
The year in which a publication was issued.  The publication date usually appears with the place and name of the publisher."
I always thought that libraries consider the year as the date of publication.

Just a few thoughts.

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Senior Curator of Entomology, Editor-in-Chief
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD).