[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Jan 10 12:47:36 CST 2017

You missed my point.  Minimally Code-compliant descriptions have ALWAYS been an option. And of course, yes, they happen from time to time.  The question is whether they would happen in a more damaging way or less damaging way if they occurred within a central registry that everyone has access too, as opposed to laser printers scattered around the world.  Indeed, if done within the registry, we have the option of raising the bar to whatever level the community wants (e.g., mandatory peer review, etc.)  As long as names become available through "publication" (which modern technology has now allowed to become increasingly easy to do for oneself, and which is increasingly ambiguous in terms of establishing actual dates of availability for purposes of priority), the problems we see now will only continue to get worse.

Perhaps part of the problem is that people put too much prestige on the Code-compliant naming of new organisms, whereas the prestige really belongs with the *description* (i.e., scientific documentation) of new organisms.  People don't get career-level prestige for registering sequences in GenBank.  Their careers are based on the science they do with those gene sequences. Why shouldn't it be the same way with names?

The only argument I'm aware of that suggests a system like I am advocating would cause more harm than good is the notion of "security through obscurity".  That is, part of the reason we don't see more harmful examples of minimally Code-compliant names through self-publication is that would-be unscrupulous people don't know that they can *already* do so.  The concern is that shifting the existing option to minimally self-published new names to an official registration system would shine a spotlight on the option, and the floodgates would open.  That's why I think the registration system would benefit from some additional rigor built into it (such as the open peer-review system along the lines of what Doug Yanega has advocated).

If all nomenclatural acts were required to flow through the registration system, disambiguated from publication, there would be the potential for much higher-quality control compared to the system that has existed until now.  This translates to greater control over the process, which seems to me to be what Hinrich is advocating for.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences | Associate Zoologist in Ichthyology | Dive Safety Officer
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252 email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org