[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Paul Kirk P.Kirk at kew.org
Wed Jan 11 04:30:07 CST 2017

Hi John,

Nice story about your PDF/A ... just a couple of comments.

First, in 2008 I produced a 650pp PDF for the 10th edition of a well known publication in mycology. I took me one second (to click the mouse button with the arrow over the 'click here'), it took my PC about 40 minutes. The PDF was double column, paginated, running heads, almost (some illustrations required manual insertion) ready for the printers. As you might guess almost all of the content came out of a database. If we all did this for all publications we would all be happy (full and free access) and the publishers (and their shareholders) would also be happy. Problem is most of us gather data, mash it up into something (a publication) that humans can conveniently read but computers have to 'reverse engineer'.

Second, the copyright is, in my opinion, in the object and not the words - it's the entirety of the layout, the font style/size, the headers and footers, the page size etc - others may disagree. Take your PDF/A, export to plain text, and make it available on the web.

In haste ... working on a database :-)

Paul