[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Jan 11 15:00:16 CST 2017

There is an aspect to this whole thread which is very odd! The only way that the new proposals being tabled here differ from the status quo is that they try to prevent bad taxonomy from being published in a slightly different way to standard peer review (and, I suppose, effectively block taxonomy from being published without peer review, although it still can be published and those factions who are OK with that can continue to use new names published by that means). However, given the huge volume of new names published every year, and given time pressures on potential peer reviewers which already compromises the peer review process in some cases, I can't see these proposals making much of a difference in reality (except that some herp guys will use the new system to quickly pounce on the attempted publication of new names by some other herp guys!)

Stephen