[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:05:32 CST 2017

Hi everyone,

I also like this more fleshed out idea and if Lyubomir wants to do a test
run of working this I am fine with using my manuscripts in this. I have a
couple in prep that do a number of different nomenclatural acts,
descriptions as well as others that I would be willing to put through this.

Cheers, Scott

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Donat Agosti <agosti at amnh.org> wrote:

> I can only second Lyubo's comment below and add some reasons, why such a
> change in publishing is the only way forwards. This does not mean on single
> journal, but journals that publish semantically enhanced content for which
> not just the metadata is accessible but the entire content.
>
> The current system, to say it mildly, is a complete failure.
> 1. We have an estimate of 10% of our literature digital, mainly through
> efforts of by BHL. The many silos of PDFs accumulated by individual
> scientists don't count, since they are not part of the community, i.e.
> accessible for everybody.
> 2. We do not have a catalogue of life for all living species, nor are we
> able to build one without an additional huge effort that is not on the
> horizon.
> 3. We do not know, what has been published in 2016.
> 4. The traditional publications are made for human consumption which makes
> data extraction extremely cumbersome.
> 5. We do not fulfill the role of taxonomy as a service to the widest
> community to deliver the reference system to share data about species and
> thus endanger taxonomy to become even more obsolete - which is not really
> necessary to happen with the current tools at our fingertips.
>
> After having now worked for over 14 years in modeling and extracting
> taxonomic content from publications, I don't see any silver lining that we
> can deal with the huge backlog of literature, and a slight for ongoing
> publishing. With a great effort we now can automatically extract content
> from scientific publications, that results together with those easily
> imported from taxpub/XML published articles from Pensoft with an estimate
> of 25% of the new described species for 2016, including the metadata, the
> taxonomic treatments, the illustrations and in many case the types
> material, including the collection code and specimen code. Additionally to
> the articles, the treatments and illustrations all have a persistent
> identifiers and include them whenever one cites another, and respective
> metadata.
> This is mainly based on born digital articles - tackling at a same level
> scanned articles is a magnitude more complex, which makes it even less
> hopeful that it will be done somewhere in the near future.
>
> For 2016, at Plazi we extracted 4 n.fam, 376 n.gen, and 4.684 n.sp.,
> 42.207 taxonomic treatments  of 40.870 unique names from 60 different
> journals. The data is accessible at http://plazi.org and
> http://biolitrepo.org.
>
> Plazi data is automatically imported in GBIF where it is one of the major
> name contributors and one of the few providing treatments, allowing linking
> a name usage to the respective treatment and from there to the original
> article and illustrations - which for a nomenclatural point of view allows
> to check, besides the exact publishing date, all what is needed to
> understand whether a name is available. But it also allows to start to
> [...]

Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Divisão de Vertebrados (Herpetologia)
Avenida Nazaré, 481, Ipiranga
04263-000, São Paulo, SP, Brasil
http://www.carettochelys.com