[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:21:05 CST 2017

My impression (albeit as one who is not an expert on nomenclature) is that
this proposition is just a huge bother for a fairly simple problem. If the
basic question is whether authors have sufficient evidence to support a
nomenclatural proposition then it would seem to me that all that was needed
for a filter vetting system is the submission of a name and the minimum
evidence meeting the code requirements - existence of a type specimen and a
designated repository, distinctive characteristics etc. To me it does not
seem necessary to impose a new manuscript bureaucracy. Also, I can imagine
the sparks that could fly with the involvement of certain personalities (as
evidenced by some TAXACOM contributions in herpetology) and for me, I would
rather have some control over the review process as there are individuals I
would rather avoid impacting (negatively in my opinion) my work. As for 30
days, maybe when you are young that is fine, but if I can get half that now
I would not want to unnecessarily waste additional time. No need to
prescribe a headache to cure a cold :)

There has been some analogy drawn to genbank, but I am not aware that this
vets the validity or existence of the proposed sequences - just registers
them (Am I correct?).

John Grehan