[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Thu Jan 12 13:43:29 CST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
To: "'Neal Evenhuis'" <neale at bishopmuseum.org>; "'Doug Yanega'"
<dyanega at ucr.edu>; <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

> The way I imagine it working for such cases is that there would be a
> defined time-period of, say, one month where people could comment on each
> registration record.  If that period expires without a minimum number of
> comments (>1, but not sure how much more than one), then then name is
> automatically accepted (i.e., newly proposed names are available until
> proven unavailable, which is how the system has always been).  I don't
> think the problem will be with the names that nobody reviews.  I think the
> problem will be the ones that have MANY reviews, with no clear consensus.
> This will be PARTICULARLY problematic if too much "taxonomy" is entangled
> with the nomenclatural process (e.g., I foresee endless splitter vs.
> lumper debates).

This is precisely why, in my opinion, it is VERY important that whatever
system is adopted to supercede the current traditional one it must only
concern itself with NOMENCLATURE. Any taxonomic considerations, such as
those "splitter vs. lumper" issues, should be completely excluded from the
whole process.

If there is a time period for comments on any submissions for registration
those comments should be restricted to nomenclatural issues only, and any
comments of a taxonomic nature should be discarded.

Currently anyone can name what is in their opinion a new taxon, and whether
or not the taxon is regarded as valid or not is in the realm of taxonomy,
not nomenclature. Any new system must continue to separate these two issues,
particularly since with new techniques it is often found that what was
previously considered a junior synonym is actually a valid separate taxon.
It would be incorrect for a nomenclatural registration to be rejected
because the reviewers disgree on taxonomic grounds.

Adam.