[Taxacom] "Taxon Filter" (was Re: Electronic publication)

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:12:33 CST 2017

So if the issue is purely nomenclatural I do not see the need to be
submitting a fully developed paper. Seems just a waste of time. Just
provide what is necessary for nomenclatural verification and registration
of the proposed name. And what would that be at the bare minimum?

I presume the intent of registration would be to assign priority to a name.
So if, for example, I had a bug that was first recognized as a different
species, I could register a name for that bug, but then I might be delayed
in publishing for five years (actually happened) but then during that
interval before publication if someone else who found the same bug
registered another name would only be notified if the original person for
that name was notified and realized it was the same. And how long will a
registered name have priority before final publication - 1, 2, 5, 10 years?
What if someone dies in the meantime?

John Grehan