[Taxacom] Electronic publication

Scott Thomson scott.thomson321 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:23:39 CST 2017

not to mention is not always in the interests of the journals to make this
any easier. As I have recently discovered.

cheers Scott

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
wrote:

> > That is just it. This is not from the "legalese" part of the Code (where
> > anybody who is not a senior zoologist fears to tread), but from a part
> > intended for publishers (laymen) in their normal pursuit of publishing
> papers.
>
> The problem is that the Code needs an objective way to establish a date of
> availability for purposes of priority.  Unfortunately, the increasingly
> dynamic and heterogeneous forms of "publication" by myriad publishers have
> left us with an increasing degree of ambiguity for ascertaining when that
> date actually is.  As a result, objectivity is compromised.  The whole
> purpose of the Code (nomenclatural stability) revolves around maximizing
> objectivity and minimizing ambiguity.  With modern publication, it is
> increasingly difficult to achieve this.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich

> http://taxacom.markmail.org

Scott Thomson
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de São Paulo
Divisão de Vertebrados (Herpetologia)
Avenida Nazaré, 481, Ipiranga
04263-000, São Paulo, SP, Brasil
http://www.carettochelys.com